digiKam '97

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:37:37 GMT 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:02 AM, jdd <jdd at dodin.org> wrote:

> Le 17/01/2017 à 00:33, Dan Dascalescu a écrit :
>
> Have you used Discourse?
>>

> we can't change to any new system - there are so many.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying there's a Paradox of Choice
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice> and we can't choose
between any of the much better OSS forum software packages?
1) Even phpBB would be a ton better
2) I've spent two weeks researching all the available options
<http://www.forummatrix.org> and have done the evaluation work for you.

> Specially when we don't see what is better.

When *you* don't see what it better. Look, I can show you in particular 50+
features that make Discourse far superior to a mailing list, but
1) What would it take to change your mind?
2) If you do change your mind, how does that make it more likely that this
community will be more open to migrate?

> For example I don't want to see photos on the list, this would make
> archives much too huge

As you can imagine, you can disable attachments in Discourse, and control
their maximum size. But the problem is you're still thinking in 1997 terms:
1) Data storage is extremely cheap nowadays. What is "too huge"? This is a
forum, not a gallery.
2) There will be no "archives" to care about. You access all the
discussions conveniently online.