Possible to write XMP sidecar for .AVI files only?

Info Munky info.munky at gmx.com
Tue Jan 17 14:13:00 GMT 2017

I'm experimenting with Digikam tags (keywords) on the video files in my
collection, and can see that tags are written to the IPTC container for
.MOV files, but where I have some older .AVIs, as far as I can see the
tags are only in the Digikam database, and not written to the file in
any way.

Have read a bit about XMP sidecars, and was wondering whether its
possible to generate (automatically) XMP sidecar for a specific MIME
type only (ie .AVI) as I don't want to globally generate XMP for JPG,
RAW, MOV etc.

Is this possible, or is there any alternative approach (apart from MIME
type conversion)?