digikam default options

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 14 18:08:29 GMT 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 06:15:33PM +0100, jdd wrote:
> Le 14/01/2017 à 16:51, Chris Green a écrit :
> > On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 07:14:54AM -0700, Andrey Goreev wrote:
> > >    Wanted to add to my message below.
> > >
> > >    I think adding any info to metadata should not be considered as "file
> > >    modifying". Why would you add any metadata? To get your pictures
> > >    organized, right? So why would mess with timestamps then? Original
> > >    timestamps should be preserved.
> > >
> > The *files* timestamp (there are three actually) is operating system
> > information and is an indicator to the operating system and is used by
> > other programs and the OS to manage the file.
> >
> > If I modify a file by changing the metadata I *do* want to change the
> > timestamp because this tells the operatiny system (and other software)
> > that the file has been modified and should, for example, be backed up.
> > Quite a lot of backup programs in particular rely on the file
> > timestamps to decide whether a file should be backed up.
> >
> > The times in the metadata are for use by such as Digikam.
> >
> two things:
>
> * digikam have to be more clear about what date is modified amoung all the
> versions possible

Yes, a very good point.  For me I want Digikam to store *everything*
in the file and not rely on any external information whether operating
system or a separate database.  If I copy an image I want *all* its
information to go with it.

> * this may be quite hard, because *system* dates vary with file system.
> Being linux or other, what are the dates kept on a FAT32 SD card?

Exactly, all the more reason not to rely on or use system dates as
having any meaning for the image.

--
Chris Green