REad/write metadata video files (avi/mov/mp4/mkv)

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:06:04 GMT 2017

Hello,

Is there a chance to have that option released in future? I think it is a
must have option since digikam is DAM tool and all cameras are capable of
recording videos nowadays.

Per this webpage:
http://dev.exiv2.org/projects/exiv2/wiki/Supported_video_formats Exiv2 can
read but can't write. They also say "Write metadata support for RIFF,
Matroska and partial metadata write support for Quicktime video formats
will be included in subsequent releases."

But there might be another tools out there that are already capable of
reading/writing video files' metadata, e.g. exiftool ,ffmpeg, etc.

I am particularly interested in reading/writing the following tags:
- Creation date
- Rating
- Keywords (tags)
- People (if possible)
- Geolocation (exiftool can do that see:
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=5977.0 )

Right now digikam seems to be unable reading/writing metadata from/to video
files.

Please let the group know your thoughts.

Best regards,
Andrey Goreev