Digikam raw files and darktable

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:25:49 GMT 2017

We definitely don't want digikam developers to do any extra work for that. They have their roadmap and want to stay on it. What we want from them is to tell us how could importing thumbnails from darktable to digikam be done with absolute minimal changes in the digikam code. Am I correct ?
Also, if the Linux only solution (DBus) is the simplest solution I think we should stick to it. I am actually a windows user and there is no darktable version for Windows so I created a designated virtual machine (ubuntu studio) and do all DAM and photo / video processing there. The pictures folder can be accessed from both Windows and Linux so there is nothing that needs to be done twice. Any changes can be seen in any OS.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Juan Jose Casafranca <jjcasmar at gmail.com> Date: 2017-01-07  8:59 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: Re: Digikam raw files and darktable

On sábado, 7 de enero de 2017 15:25:43 (CET) Gilles Caulier wrote:

> > in a

> > PNG

> > 512x512

> > jpg

> > > But this is already the case. We use already a raw decoder named libraw

> > > process RAW thumbnails. We will not using another one... Stop to puzzle

> > the

> > > code

> > > Gilles Caulier

> > So you are telling me that if we want to process a raw file and manage a

> > library with DK, we have to stay with the simply DK raw processor instead

> > of

> > using a much more powerful one like darktable? Do you really think that

> > people

> > out there use the DK raw processor to process their images?

> But digiKam is not DarkTable.  The way to mix both cannot be done. This is

> 2 different applications, one written in Qt other one in GTK...

> The goal currently in DK is to stabilize the code, reduce dependencies,

> improve port to non Linux. We have plenty of jobs to do, DarkTable is not a

> priority for the moment.

> Gilles Caulier

I know that they are two different apps. I dont understand why GTK and Qt is

even a question here. I'm not saying to add DT as a depency for DK, just let

the user decide which raw processor uses.

But Raw processor from DT is not the same than DK as i know. Changing Raw processor in digiKam by DT one is as to add DT dependencies to DK.  No way here...
I'm not asking to change the raw processor. Just asking to allow the user which raw processor wants to use. If the user selects to use DT, simply make him enter the DT executable which will be called when the raw file must be processed. No dependency needed.

As I said, I can try to develop this by myself, I'm not asking any dedicated

DK developer to do it... What I only need is a little guideline on how the

thumbnails are generated, how they are stored in the database and some other

stuff for letting the user choose which processor wants to choose.

2 possibilities :
1/ use DBus to ping digiKam core about thumbnails changed externally. Only Linux solution.
2/ use XMP sidecar to store a local path to new thumbnails processed into DT XMP namespace. I don't like this too much by at least it store the minimum to XMP.
3/ store wavelets compressed preview in XMP sidecar to Iptc.Application2.Preview
4/ use a thumbnail sidecar file near RAW file as .thumb. I see this solution already used under Windows, but i don't remember which application exactly. I know that Canon camera do it also. It's a simple JPEG file with metadata This way will duplicata data of course.