Unsure about left pane (albums, tags, labels, ... ) and filtering

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:14:35 GMT 2017

The right panel has search functions too. What you need is to use both left and and right panels at the same time. For example, choose an album in the left panel and then narrow down the search to a certain star rating or something else using the right panel.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: durchblick <quaddle at posteo.sk> Date: 2017-12-15  1:24 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: digikam-users at kde.org Subject: Unsure about left pane (albums, tags, labels, ... ) and filtering
Hello,

finally I have time (and necessity) to dive into digikam which has many
features. I fail to understand something about the filtering, I tried to
understand from the manual and this ML

I got a huge image collection (16000+) seperated into 4 albums. (I needed to
split because they are on a network share and performance was terrible.)

Now I want to sort/classify/tag images (e.g. vacation, work, project,
photography, ...). The left pane views are very helpful and quite intuitive,
I like timeline and dates!

But it seems to be impossible that selections made in albums view will be
... locked ... for the next view. Say, I select certain collections, but
when switching to timeline, I filter on all albums again, when showing only
with 3 star rating, it is all over again.

From what I read I can use the right pane filtering mechanism to "emulate"
that expected behaviour (tagging and labels) but I wanted to make sure I
didn't get it wrong.

What do you suggest how I could/should handle this?

digiKam (latest avail on fedora 25)
Version 5.6.0 Build date: Jun 22 2017 (target: release)