Had to change External Hard Drive; How do I make the change in DigiKam ?

Mark makigid at saliers.com
Thu Apr 20 00:05:09 BST 2017

I'm following this discussion because I'm trying to decide to commit to DK
or to some commercial solution.

On windows, one thing you might try is to rename the new drive to the same
name as the original (which you will have to rename to something else). In
file explorer you just right click on the drive and select rename. But
this won't work if DK is using an internal node number or something.

There might be another approach. I see there is a maintenance procedure DK
that will let you write meta file to sidecar files. I wonder if (assuming
your drive can survive) it would be possible to write all your data to
sidecars and then save the sidecars into the corresponding directories on
the new drive. (freecommander has a good sync tool). Then run the opposite
procedure on the new drive collection to restore the metadata.

The information about maintenance and sidecars is about 3/4 of the way
down this page:

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-setup.html#using-setup-metadata

The word "sidecar" doesn't appear in the text – only in the screen
captures so you have to read down the page rather than search for the
term.

Good luck – will be interested if you find a solution.

Mark