New digikam website source available from KDE's git server

Pat David patdavid at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 13:56:48 BST 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:19 PM Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On the download section, there are too much text to read to find the right
> version.

Agreed!  This is one of the pages I was hoping to rewrite soon to be a
little clearer.  I had written some small OS detection script I use on
www.gimp.org to show the most likely relevant download to users when they
visit the page - I could possibly re-use that here if you wanted.

Either way, the page is on the to-do list to re-write to be more direct and
clear. :)

> To resume :
>
> - screenshots stored in local or not ?
> - If stored in local (git), this is acceptable by KDE team to overload the
> repository with this kind of huge data ?

Re: Screenshots

I know that historically you've hosted your photos on Flickr.  This is
fine, but I would personally suggest hosting them locally if possible.

The reason is that if Flickr, for any reason, goes dark - then you'll have
a huge amount of dead images across your site.  I'd hate for that to
happen!  Even worse, if the images aren't stored anywhere else then there's
a chance you'll lose the mapping of what those images should be. :(

In git, we'll have them and won't have to worry about it (and we don't have
to worry about a database not liking them on the backend anymore).

I don't think there's a _huge_ amount of files/sizes to worry about, but I
guess it's up to Ben to let us know if that'll be ok.

pat
--
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC