Export to google photos seems loosing the orientation

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 19:41:39 BST 2016

> Hello Gilles,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> I'm not sure to understand what do you suggest: did you suggested that I
> must generate for each RAW file the related JPG file and export only these
> JPG files? I think this is the process involved by the google export
> feature, but do you suggest to do it manually?

Yes exactly.

> Even if JPEG files which are exported to google photos seems not having
> the same issue, it's quite impossible for me to do that: Almost all my
> pictures are RAW files (more than 10000) and I don't want to save also the
> related JPG (for some storage and picture management reasons).

You can do it easily with BQM, at least to confirm than RAW to JPEG
conversion before to upload to cloud service fix the problem. Warning : BQM
has an option to extract embebed preview from RAW instead to process RAW
data, as current google tool do.

> I don't know if the issue is during the JPG export  to google photos or
> this is google photos which does not understand the exported files, but for
> sure when I was managing my pictures within picasa, I didn't have this
> issue: All the pictures were well oriented.
> Honestly, I would be very surprised if this issue is during the JPG export
> - because almost all the visible tags in my RAW pictures are also available
> in JPG google photos (like the EXIF geotags, EXIF caption, etc) - so it
> would surprising that orientation tags disappears.
>
> Is there a location where JPG files are stored or are they deleted after
> export to google photos?
> Is there others people who have encountered the same issue?

If you confirm the issue, please report this to bugzilla.