Database migration to another computer

Bogdan Opanchuk bogdan at opanchuk.net
Tue Sep 20 14:41:45 BST 2016

Hello,

What is the correct procedure for moving the database to a new location
(and another operating system)?

Currently I have a PC1 with an existing digikam database and some photos in
it, and a PC2 with installed digikam, and a database with some discardable
photos (created for testing purposes). I want to move the database from PC1
to PC2 (and discard the existing PC2 database). PC1 has Windows, PC2 has
OSX, if that makes any difference.

If I just copy the folder with .db files and photos to PC2 and point
digikam to it (via configuration -> Database), it offers me to use the
existing database file. I select that, and then digikam complaions that the
collection "is currently not found on your system" and offers me two
message pops up every time at the start (and the path it quotes points to
the location of the original discarded collection, not the actual path in
the configuration).

Can anyone point me to the relevant part of the documentation?