Digikam and Darktable

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 15 07:06:38 BST 2016

On mercredi 14 septembre 2016 13:25:41 CEST digikam at 911networks.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am a current DarkTable user, but the DAM portion is on the barebone
> side.
>
> Is there somebody using both? How does/would it work?

I use Digikam to sort and rate my pictures, and to add title, captions and
such. Then I use Darktable to prepare the jpegs. That means Digikam creates
the sidecar .XMP files, which are read (and updated) by Darktable.
So basically, my work flow is :
camera -> Digikam -> Darktable -> output (web album or sometimes print)

> DT doesn't alter the raw, it creates its own xmp file:
>
> original: 123456.cr2
> DT creates: 123456.cr2.xmp with all the steps
>
> Then the question is: What does DK do? Does it read the DT changes? or
> Do I have to save the changes to JPEG/TIFF, then reimport these in
> DK?
As I do my tagging and titling in Digikam (ideally before going to Darktable),
I don't know (and don't care). The processing instructions that Darktable adds
are irrelevant as far as Digikam is concerned.

Note that Darktable notices changes made by Digikam if they are written to the
.XMP files.

> How would DK know that 123456.cr2 has become 123456.jpg or 123456.tiff
> and to keep them together?
I don't export all developed images automatically (not much reason to, and
certainly not to the same directory tree as Digikam uses). Instead, I export
when needed at the size and settings needed (print or screen need different
export settings. So for me, it's irrelevant whether Digikam knows which jpg/
png/tiff goes with which raw file.