How to restore pictures synchronization state in google photos?

Matthieu ermelir at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 08:03:41 GMT 2016

Hi all,

I'm also coming from the picasa desktop software and I have decided to use
digikam as picture manager.

Almost all my pictures have already been shared in google photos within
picasa.
My picture collection is composed of 10000 pictures, 90 percent of RAW
files and is located in a directory tree like this example:
2011
|__20110101
|        |___first_folder
|        |___second_folder
|__20111224
2012
|__20120413
         |__first_folder

I'm in front off the following issue: when I try to upload a picture which
have already been uploaded in google photos from digikam, the picture
uploaded is setted as a new copy of the picture in google photos.

This is a problem because some pictures in google photos have already been
shared with friends in some shared albums and have comments: I don't want
to loose them and I don't want to need to rebuild the shared albums.

So why trying to upload another time some pictures which have already been
uploaded in google photos? to ensure that all update I'll made in diigikam
will be visible in google photos.

I found that google photos use an exif tag (ImageUniqueId) to identify if a
picture have already been uploaded. So I have fetched in all pictures in
google photos the ImageUniqueId tag and add to my pictures content (with
exiftool) to restore this tag. But even if after this update, synchronize
pictures from digikam to google photos create duplicate content.

So my questions:
- Does google photos export take care of the ImageUniqueId tag?
- Is there a way to restore synchronization state with google photos?

Thanks for your help

regards