What hardware?

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Sun Nov 20 11:57:40 GMT 2016

Am 19.11.2016 um 22:23 schrieb Uwe Haider:
> Hi,
>
> my Gentoo-Box is about 7 Years old - and so slow! Now I want new
> hardware. The speed of digikam and lightzone is important fpr me. Also
> the download of my pics from my Nikon/Olympus.
>
> So, how can I optimize my hardware? A faster cpu? More RAM? Better GPU?
> Which is the best way to speed up digikam?

Download speed is dependent on your connection to the computer and
basically irrelevant if you compare the time for "beautifying" one
picture to to download time of a full storage card.
I bought a usb3 compatible card reader and use it on a usb3 connector,
the limiting factor is the storage card "read" speed.

Digikam can profit from CPU-cores. You graphics card should use openCL
which accellerates processing, and you computer shoud be fine with 16GB
of RAM, and most importantly an SSD where you should locate the digikam
database and the pictures you currently work on.

If you have as many pictures as I have you will forget the idea of
buying a big and therefore relatively expensive SSD just for photos
which need that speed only when processed. In other words, you will
still need an HDD.

cu
Peter