[Digikam-users] Exporting/importing tagged face database

Richard Mortimer richm+digikam at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue May 31 11:27:47 BST 2016

Hi,

On 31/05/2016 10:41, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Is there an existing tool/setting to export/import data created during
> face tagging?
I'm not aware of any existing software that will do this. But...

> I am also willing to create software to do this do documentation where
> and how this data is stored also would be useful (though obviously I
> prefer to discover that needed software already exists).
>
> I want to create backup of this data. I really would like to
> tag faces on my photos and Digikam seems to be currently the best
> available tool but I want to avoid lock-in (especially as face tagging
> will consume hundreds of hours for my photo collection).
>
> Note that I am not looking for folder with sqlite database file - I
> want to export this data to some format that will be easily processed.
I'm not sure what you mean by easily processed. But why do you discount
the SQLite database? That is a public domain database format that is
widely supported on just about every computing platform. You can use SQL
queries to access the data. If you prefer to keep the data outside of a
database you can dump the data using the sqlite3 commandline and the
.dump command. That will give you a SQL copy of the data that you can
process/manipulate in your favourite scripting language.

I would not discount the use of a sqlite database. Your data is
certainly not locked in and the digikam schema/data layout is public so
if you do ever need to transfer to a different application it should be
easy to do.

That said if there are existing interchange formats then I'm sure that
an exporter/importer will be of interest to the community.

Regards

Richard