[Digikam-users] Tags not written to XMP sidecar?

Tobias Margiani margianit at gmail.com
Sun May 22 14:31:40 BST 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly. Are XMP files created but
without (the right) content or are there no XMP files at all (you could check
that with a file manager)?
I don't use XMP files normally so there might be people who know all this
better but from a few quick tests it looks like exiftool only reads xmp files
if you pass them as argument directly and not if you try to read tags from an
image file (e.g. if you have image.jpg and image.xmp you have to use "exiftool
image.xmp" to read the tags). In my checks there is a "Tags List" entry
showing the digikam tags.
To comment on you problem when moving the files. If you only moved image files
the metadata might indeed be lost but if you have moved the whole folder the
xmp files could still be there! So check with a file manager. That the tags
aren't read by digikam may result from your configuration. Are you sure that
you've configured digikam to read metadata from sidecar files.
Another source of this problem may be that you haven't configured digikam to
write Tags into file at all. You can check in the metadata tab what information
is written to the files.

I hope some of this could help.
Regards
Tobias