[Digikam-users] Import XMP doesn't work

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 2 06:27:10 BST 2016

On Monday 02 May 2016 10:18:24 Louis A. Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Import XMP doesn't work on Digikam 14.4. It seems to go through the
> motions, but doesn't actually write the imported data to the target
files.

> I'm working on raw files.
>
> Perhaps I don't know how to use it, or is this a known bug? Is there a
> solution?

Hi,

Two things:
1- There's unfortunately not just one XMP format. Or rather, there's not
just one way to store the information in the XMP files, things like
captions and keywords can be written under different tags.

As a result of this, while Digikam can read all valid XMP files (it is a
version of XML), it can only import a certain number of tags used. The tags
it doesn't understand will be silently ignored (as is standard behaviour
for XML).

And there's the problem of XMP files names, there are several conventions
for generating the XMP file name from the image file name.

So it would be helpful to know where the XMP files to be imported come
from.

2- What do you mean by "target files"? Importing XMP should write the data
to the Digikam database, not to any other place (and notably, not to the
raw image files associated with the XMP files or the XMP files themselves).

Remco