[Digikam-users] output device profile

Gerhard Hoogterp gerhard at frappe.xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 4 20:48:42 GMT 2016

> if I'm right you have already a color printer. In fact you have also already
> choosen your sort(s) of printing sheets, all you have to do is downloading
> the
> matching icc-profile provided by the paper manufacturer. Matching means
> matching the combination of paper and printer.
> Feeding aunt google with "photo paper icc" will be a good start.
>
> For playing around to understand the workflow, you can use every
> printer-icc- package provided by your Linux distribution. The paketmanager
> should all do to
> the right place. DigiKam will find it and should present the profiles for
> selection.

Thanks..

By now I was able to select a printer profile and I found a profile for the
paper the printing company uses.
But in the end I don't really see any real difference in the soft-proof. A tad
darker, but that's it while the prints were a lot darker and lacking sparkle.
The reason I started with this whole thing anyhow..

I'm also somewhat disappointed in the whole colormanagement under KDE. I found
messages from developers pushing colord and uyranos as solutions for kde. Fast
forward till now,  Uyranos isn't available for the latest kubuntu lacking a
needed lib and while colord is intergrated, the whole userinterface under
kubuntu is basically a colord-kde-icc-manager commandline tool.

I do remember an plugin for the kde systemsettings and I see references and
screendumps online, but nothing to install or download.

For softproof one has to depend on the applications like gimp and digikam. For
the printer itself I didn't find anything yet. CUPS doesn't seem to have any
settings but then again I would have to find ICC's for my Epson.. I did find a
dmg file which was supposed to have these profiles, but after extracting it
there were only empty folders.. not an ICC in sight..

All in all not exactly a lot of advancement since 2012 and definitely a lot
more complicated than it should be.

But I keep on trying.. starting with creating a new profile for my screen
using my colorhug. As it has been some time I'm sure my current profile isn't
correct anymore so that should be a good start.

Thanks for everybody helping out!
Gerhard

-
My blog: http://www.funsite.eu/