[Digikam-users] digiKam and floating point tiffs and openexr files

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Fri Jan 1 01:49:11 GMT 2016

On 12/31/2015 06:59 PM, Gilles Caulier wrote:

>              It would be nice if digiKam could be used to not only view
>         but also
>              catalog and tag such images.
>

>         Cataloging/tagging, etc, is not a problem here. Metadata
>         management is
>         delegate to Exiv2, which support TIFF, but not OpenEXR as i
>         know. In all
>         case XMP side car is the solution here. Also, no problem with
>         database
>         with these kind of image formats.
>

>     I put some sample files of various formats in a folder cataloged by
>     digiKam, and refreshed the folder, and also closed and reopened digiKam:
>
>     The openexr file and the Krita KRA file both failed to show in digiKam.
>
>     The floating point tiff and the GIMP 2.9 XCF file both showed up,
>     but without any actual image being displayed.

Upon further experimenting, most exr files do show up in digiKam,
completely with displayed thumbnail - I'm not sure why the first exr
file didn't show up.

Also 32-bit floating point tiffs that are saved with thumbnails also do
show up in digiKam complete with thumbnails. I've been saving tiffs
without thumbnails. Sigh.

Elle