Script to regularly export (new) matching images?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:01:39 GMT 2016

> Hello,
>
> I collect all our family photos in Digikam (two cameras, three mobile
> phones, two tablets, and occasional screenshots or images mailed to us).
> I then geotag, tag and rate them. One of the tags is „for friends“ of
> which I would like matching images to (automatically) be copied onto a SMB
> share on our NAS when images are added. I do not want to create copies
> within the Digikam hierarchy and I do not want to do this manually (unless
> it is done with a single mouse click).
>
> I imagine a command line image selection / export tool bundled with
> Digikam could do the trick which would output paths of matching images
> selected by criteria (tags would be sufficient). This can then be used in
> scripts. For example,
>
>         digikam-select -c „Default“ -t „for friends“
>
> would output a list of files in collection „Default“ with tag „For
> friends“ with (relative) paths. E.g.
>
>         2016/July/IMG0192.JPG
>         2016/September/DCIM0992.JPG
>
> This could then be used to keep an external archive of (possibly reduced)
> JPG files automatically like I described above. For example,
>
>         #!/bin/bash
>         digikam-select -c „Default“ -t „for friends“ | while read FILE ; do
>                 test -f /media/my-SMB-share/Digikam-export/„$FILE“ &&
> continue
>                 # … create directory if it doesn’t exist …
>                 convert -quality 80 „$FILE“ /media/my-SMB-share/Digikam-
> export/„$FILE“
>         done
>
> Does something like this exist already or is planned?
>

>From digiKam developer : no.

> If not, would you accept such a tool in Digikam? I could at least write a
> companion script (in Ruby or Perl) with similar functionality.

Sure. There is a directory in application to host 3rdparty scripts, but we
don't maintain code.

https://cgit.kde.org/digikam.git/tree/data/scripts

The problematic of this solution is the difficulty to have scripts updated
in time. A git access must used or a request to developers need to be sent.

Perhaps it's time to use a github repository to host all scripts which will
be more easy to maintain in time for end-users ?

Best