Video and Video Thumbnails in App Image

kshaav at gmail.com kshaav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 23:14:17 GMT 2016

I am on Linux Mint 18 using the app image of digiKam 5.3.

Thumbnails for videos don't show up (actually doesn't show the default
icon that I've seen mentioned elsewhere either --- just nothing) and
video won't play.

I realize that this has come up a couple times already and I have seen
those threads; I think this may be an app image specific issue though.
If I right-click on a video and select "open", it correctly opens up my
default video player "xplayer" but it won't play there either (I
included some errors below). It complains about needing to install
plugins to be able to play videos of /type X./  However, if I open the
video from the file manager, it opens xplayer and plays fine.

Errors (below) indicate that gstreamer is failing and since digiKam uses
gstreamer too, it seems to me that that may be why internally things are
not working either?

I tried to change the application that digiKam uses to open the video
files to vlc but that completely failed; vlc wouldn't even open let
alone play the video. I don't know much about app images, but I assume
there's some sort of sandboxing going on and maybe digiKam is being
prevented from interacting from the rest of the system normally?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sean

===========

When trying to open xplayer from digiKam, it throws this:

** (xplayer:13713): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility
bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken.

(xplayer:13713): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibav.so':
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol:
FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

(xplayer:13713): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibav.so':
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol:
FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

(xplayer:13713): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibav.so':
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol:
FT_Outline_EmboldenXY
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|1.0|xplayer|H.264 (Constrained
Baseline Profile) decoder|decoder-video/x-h264,
stream-format=(string)avc, alignment=(string)au, level=(string)4.1,
profile=(string)constrained-baseline, max-input-size=(int)222476,
parsed=(boolean)true (H.264 (Constrained Baseline Profile) decoder)
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sessioninstaller/core.py:47: PyGIWarning:
Gst was imported without specifying a version first. Use
gi.require_version('Gst', '1.0') before import to ensure that the right
version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gst

** (gstreamer-codec-install:13740): WARNING **: Couldn't register with
accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken.
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sessioninstaller/core.py:48: PyGIWarning:
Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use
gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right
version gets loaded.