Problems with digiKam 5.1.0

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Tue Aug 16 13:35:40 BST 2016

On 08/16/2016 12:36 AM, Gilles Caulier wrote:
>     Are you saying digiKam only reads the metadata from a file once,
>     upon import?
>
>     Or are you saying that digiKam always checks for changes in files
>     that are already in the database, and this behavior can't be disabled?
>

> digiKam will always scan for new items downloaded from camera
> digiKam will never automatically scan already registered items when
> metadata changes externally. You must to do it manually in digiKam.
> There is a file in bugzilla to change this behavior but it's not
> implemented.
> It possible now to disable the scan for new items at startup up to
> speed-up initialization. This can be done manually of course later in
> digiKam.

Thanks! for the clarification.

>         No Dbus is a communication chanel between Linux applications.
>         this has
>         nothing to do with metadata.
>         But the error is suspect about Linux desktop stability.
>     I'm not sure what you mean - my Linux IceWM desktop has seemed rock
>     solid for as long as I've been running Linux
>
> But this dbus error is abnormal...

I tried to go back to digiKam4, but the corresponding libkipi packages
wouldn't compile. So I reinstalled digiKam5 and updated some other
stuff. And now the dbus errors have disappeared.

In digiKam5, even after reinstalling moving tags from one location to
another location on the tag tree still sometimes fails, and always with
the same tags. I think the relevant terminal output is as follows:

digikam.general: Delete Shortcut assigned to tag  76
digikam.dbengine: Failure executing query:
   "UPDATE Tags SET pid=? WHERE id=?;"
Error messages: "Unable to fetch row" "UNIQUE constraint failed:
TagsTree.id, TagsTree.pid" 19 1
Bound values:  (QVariant(int, 184), QVariant(int, 76))
digikam.general: Delete Shortcut assigned to tag  12
digikam.dbengine: Failure executing query:
   "UPDATE Tags SET pid=? WHERE id=?;"
Error messages: "Unable to fetch row" "UNIQUE constraint failed:
TagsTree.id, TagsTree.pid" 19 1
Bound values:  (QVariant(int, 184), QVariant(int, 12))
digikam.general: Delete Shortcut assigned to tag  80
digikam.dbengine: Failure executing query:
   "UPDATE Tags SET pid=? WHERE id=?;"
Error messages: "Unable to fetch row" "UNIQUE constraint failed:
TagsTree.id, TagsTree.pid" 19 1
Bound values:  (QVariant(int, 184), QVariant(int, 80))

So I transferred the subtags of the "unique constraint"-affected tags to
where they ought to be by creating a new tag in the correct location,
and moving the subtags from the old tag to the new tag. Hopefully this
"unique contraint" issue won't happen again.

I have icons for all my other KDE applications, but still not for
digiKam5. I gave IceWM the exact path to the breeze icon for digiKam
(shouldn't be necessary), and also tried the exact path to the oxygen
icon, and either way still the digiKam icon is just the red X.

Best,
Elle