Problems with digiKam 5.1.0

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Mon Aug 15 22:07:09 BST 2016

On 08/15/2016 04:37 PM, Gilles Caulier wrote:

>     A. Despite perhaps 6 hours of steady searching and trialing, I
>     haven't persuaded digiKam to show a proper icon in my IceWm system
>     tray. All I see is a red X. I did manage to get dolphin, konsole,
>     kruler, and kcalc to finally have proper icons (before my marathon
>     search session they all had the same "red X" icon), so the search
>     was not in vain. But I'd really like to have a proper icon for
>     digiKam. I don't care which icon from which theme it is, as long as
>     it's not the red X.
>

> Certainly, The Breeze icon theme is not installed on you system.

Yes, it is already installed (happened back at the beginning of the
6-hour marathon):

$ equery list '*breeze*'
  * Searching for *breeze* ...
[IP-] [  ] kde-frameworks/breeze-icons-5.23.0:5/5.23

>     B. I deleted a tag labelled "People". I don't have such a tag in my
>     tag tree. It reappeared upon starting digiKam. Tried again, same result.
>

> Yes. It's the rules in database schema about Face Management. There is
> already a report about.

OK, thanks! This is a minor issue.

>     C. I don't use Album categories. I deleted all the album categories
>     and they reappeared when I restarted digiKam. Tried again, same result.
>

> This part have not yet checked since a while because is not too much used.

OK. This also is a minor issue.

>     D. This is the really serious issue: This morning I spend a couple
>     of hours rearranging the tag tree, which was considerably in
>     disarray. Then I closed and restarted digiKam. A tag tree that I had
>     moved to a new location was back at it's original location. Tried
>     again, same result - it just won't stay put.
>
> Did you use Mysql as database ?

No. I'm using sqlite-3.12.0. I don't have mysql or mariadb installed.

>     Here's what I want digiKam to do:
>
>     Step 1. Upon adding new files to the database, read the image files
>     *once* to get the tags. And then *never* read the image files again.
>

> Do you mean the automatic scan for new item at start up ? There is an
> option to disable it on Setup/Misc

I do want digiKam to scan for new items. What I don't want is for
digiKam to read the information from old items again and again and
again. I don't want digiKam to monitor for changes in the metadata in
files that are already in the database. Read once and then never read again.

>     Step 2. Normally only write to the database. Never write to the
>     image files and also don't write to XMP sidecar files.
>

> See Setup/Metadata configuration.

Well, I've already done my best to make the right configuration
settings. But I'm not sure I made the right choices:

* I unchecked everyting on the Metadata Behavior tab.

* On the Rotation tab I selected Rotate by only setting a flag.

* I don't know what to do with the Advanced Configuration tab. But I
made some changes to that tab and upon restarting digikam the changes
were "undone".

>     Step 3. Once I've got the tag tree back to where I'd like it to be,
>     I want to write all the tags out to XMP sidecar files. Then I'll use
>     exiftool to rewrite selected tags (tagslist, hierarchicalsubject,
>     and a few other) back to the image files. Then I'll probably delete
>     the existing digikam database and and XMP files, and start over with
>     a clean database, hopefully with all the tags properly read in as
>     per step 1 above.
>

> Again, Setup/Metadata has the right option for you.

And these would be?

I have a feeling that the problem might not be in the settings, but
elsewhere. I ran digiKam from a terminal to see the output. The only
thing that stands out are complaints about dbus:

Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
  "Not connected to D-Bus server"
Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
  "Not connected to D-Bus server"
Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
  "Not connected to D-Bus server"
Failed enumerating UDisks2 objects:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"
  "Not connected to D-Bus server"

Could this be the issue? According to htop, "something" dbus related is
running as soon as I start the IceWM desktop, but maybe something else
needs to be running?

>     Before starting digiKam 5 I removed all the old digiKam/showFoto
>     settings files. Upon starting digiKam 5 I made a new sqlite
>     database, and for some reason the database name is "digikam4db" -
>     why is this?
>
> DK 4.x and 5.x use the same database file. The schema is not changed, so
> the filename too.

OK, thanks!

Best,
Elle