[Digikam-users] OT: darktable

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Sun Apr 10 16:28:54 BST 2016

Hi there,

I'm on my umpteenth attempt to wrap my mind around darktable for raw development. Good thing it's not a physical object. Otherwise I probably would have taken a hammer to it to solve my problems in a final way. :(

I got 2 questions:
1. Is there any way to get darktable to sort images in lightroom by file extension? I find it a major pain, that when I import a film roll (yeah, hang on to the old names, after all, it makes perfect sense to call it a film roll if it's images stored on a sd-card or internal memory. I can't even remember when the last time was I used a film roll), it just throws every image at me it can find in the folder, err, film roll.
2. how can I stop darktable from applying "sharpen" automagically to every bloody picture? I don't want and I don't need this "feature" for every image but I simply can not find a way to stop this thing. Under preferences the preset for sharpen is presented with a lock. According to the manual that means I can not change the settings.
If that's indeed the case I personally would file this as a killer bug to me in conjunction with all the rest I don't like about darktable and will free some disk space at least.

So far I have 2 main observations: 1. usage is a royal pain in the ass, to me it appears as if the developers try very hard to be as different as possible from other programs for the sake of being different. A feature that has made me reconsider my choice in favour of ufraw each and every time I tried darktable over the last few years.

2. it's unfortunately powerful enough to persevere, at least for some images.

Sorry for the rant, but darktable makes my blood pressure rise each and every time I work with it. The only image manipulation programs I have worked with, that are even less user friendly, are the 2 types of digital xray processing software I so far had the joy to play with.
If it weren't as powerful as it is, I would have stopped bothering long ago.

Andreas T. Ege
Dr. med. vet., MRCVS