[Digikam-users] timeline vs tags

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Tue Sep 22 22:39:40 BST 2015

Am 22.09.2015 um 19:21 schrieb Luca Ferrari:
> Hi all,
> I ask here for a suggestion: I tend to apply to my pictures also a
> "year" ag, so that at least I know which yer photos have been taken.
> Why not using the timeline? Well, being the son of a professional
> photographer I have a quite large archive, that is composed of digital
> and re-digitalized (scanned) images. The latter do not have a good
> timeline, of course, so I choose this strategy to apply the year tag,
> and therefore to keep the collection coherent I applied also to
> digital images.
> But now that the images are almost always digitally-native, it is
> becoming a little annoying.
> Do you have a better strategy to face the problem? Or a way to
> auto-apply a yeartag based on the timeline?

Some time ago, I decided to rename each photo to
yyyymmdd_hhmmssNN_additional_information.xyz

For digital photos I take the information form the metadata. With
scanned photos I choose them based on what I know about the photos.

That way each photo has a unique name unless one works with two cameras
at exactly the same time and I have a "natural" sorting order in my
folders. Metadata can be added later if necessary.

cu
Peter

asadd them to my best kowledge