[Digikam-users] best practice person tag hierarchy

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 10:13:20 GMT 2015

Hi Stephan,
On 22-3-2015 15:07, Stephan Olbrich wrote:
> I'm looking for a good way to organize the tags for persons.
> Something like persons/coworker/firstname_lastname or
> persons/sport/firstname_lastname works well enough for friends but not for
> family where I already have 6 generations of persons somehow related to each
> other.
I can not comment on Alans suggestion with the face recognition; my
version of DK (2.6) does not have that feature in usable form yet.

In my tags I imply a hierarchy by giving multiple tags to one person. So
there might be a people/Stephan tag on a photo I got of you, and a tag
groups/friends. That way I can find friends/Stephan by filtering.

Family relations I tag from my own perspective; if I had an uncle named
Stephan, it would have family/uncle besides people/name. I would mostly
not use exactly the same tag as for the other Stephan, but I'd have to
check for collisions to see for sure.

I think there's no golden rule. I try to keep my tag hierarchy less than
three levels deep, and I do not have so many people/name-tags that there
are many collisions.

Once you decide on a scheme, would you post it? I think it always
interesting to learn about tagging strategies.

Best regards,

Boudewijn