[Digikam-users] GSoc 2015 Project: Advanced Metadata HUB

Alan Pater alan.pater at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:08:08 GMT 2015

Hi all

I have been playing with Digikam for the last year, have contributed a
small patch (and another to exiv2), and just noticed the GSOC Metadata Hub
project.

           https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#digiKam

As metadata is dear to my heart, I thought I would throw out a few thoughts
on the subject. Unfortunately, my limited programming skills and other life
projects keep me from taking on the entire project myself!

Currently, metadata/captions/tags can be seen and/or added and/or edited in
a variety of places in Digikam. The data is labelled under different terms
depending on which view or editor one is looking at.  One can view and/or
edit EXIF, Makernote, IPTC, XMP, Description, Tags, Information, Edit EXIF,
Edit IPTC, Edit XMP. Sometimes one can simply view the data, sometimes one
can directly edit the data, sometimes one can modify the data using a
template. Sometimes one can inadvertently lose information.

I would like to propose 2 ideas.

1) That all these views, functions, and editors be merged into one. Default
is view only, with buttons to edit and to apply templates. Default would be
to show and edit the most common fields, with an advanced option for
specialized and hardcore technical users.

2) Instead of tabs with technical labels, just group the fields under
productive headings:

                       When / Where / What

Fields are then labelled and grouped in a friendly and standard way, with
Digikam taking care of the technical mapping details in the background,
using industry standard guidelines. And, of course, an advanced, technical
option for those users who need and love to get their hands dirty.

What do you think?