[Digikam-users] Showing *.svg files in digiKam

Bruno Baumgärtner bruno13 at scotnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 10:59:31 GMT 2015

Hello

First of all, let me thank the developers of digiKam for their wonderful
application. I use it since many years, mostly for file management. I use it less
for picture manipulation, I do that via Gimp. The really important parts for me
are picture search and decisions to keep them or delete them.

Since I vectorise some of my photos with Inkscape or via a website I am missing
that digiKam is registering and showing these photographic pictures. This is very
annoying, as I usually use digiKam to quickly search a picture I need.

Imagine: I have a folder called «wallpapers» in which I load all my wallpapers. I
crop and resize them to fit my screen exactly. At present I have 1 jpg, 15 png and
17 svg files. 16 of the 33 pictures are not presented.

I consider them equally important as a pixel picture.

I would agree, digiKam has no obligation to develop more that the pure
presentation of the pic in the appropriate folders and giving on the sideboard
about the identical picture-information as with photos plus the usual file
management tools. like renaming and so on.

The astonishing part is, that «showPhoto» can present my *.svg files. However,
there are a few features I use on digiKam, which I can not find in showPhoto, see
previous paragraph.

As I do produce work mostly for browsers and a less for printing, it is well
possible to include svg-files directly instead of other files, like jpg, png,
tiffs, gifs etc. and probably by now 90% of all browsers can show them.

So, times have proceeded forwards and I think, vectorised picture have a right to
be presented in any good picture management software.

Best regards
Bruno Baumgärtner