[Digikam-users] Folders, albums and collections

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri Jun 19 09:19:25 BST 2015

Am 19.06.2015 um 09:41 schrieb Agustin Lobo:
> Very dangerous. I suggest that, in the future, all Albums be virtual.
> That is, initially you get Albums matching folders, but removing
> Albums should not
> imply removing folders. Removing folders should be done by using the OS. Digikam
> should deal with managing its database only.
> Note that for most users (specially novice users) having Albums and
> Virtual Albums can be confusing,
> and they could easily think that they are removing a virtual Album
> while they are removing a folder... with its pictures.
>
> Agus

No, I do not agree at all.

That digikam reflects the directories and files just naturally, as they
are in the file system, is one of its great advantages. It makes
everything more transparent and easy to maintain. One can
use/move/add/delete folders and files also outside of digikam using the
file system or saving from an other application (like gimp etc.) into
folders/albums. Backup is easy too, this way.

If I delete an image or a folder I want to have it deleted. It's my
computer, not facebook or google.

I don't want "deleted" and deleted things, and in the end not knowing if
something is really deleted or not, respectively having to use another
application to clean up and synchronize file system with "virtual
stuff". I don't want to have other folder names than those that
physically appear on my HD.

A virtual album view would be another layer, making things even more
complicated. More database access, slower, more possibilities for errors
and bad synchronization... no, thanks.

No no, just keep it as is, digikam!

Daniel

http://www.daniel-bauer.com