[Digikam-users] moving from Shotwell to Digikam

Henrique Santos Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 02:22:43 BST 2015

Kent,

I moved from shotwell, i can say digikam is much better if you are a power
user.
If you are not, maybe you should stick with shotwell, it is much easier!

I dont know about those pairs, but i will describe what i did.

I was really easy to migrate.. the "problem" is that shotwell uses a folder
for organiazning albuns, Digikam can use many thinsg.. but most of the view
is called "Albums" that are just folder.

How i did:
-  Started digikam and select the option to watch for new files.
- Create a Root Album called "Shotwell-legacy"
- Closed digikam
- Move all picture too this Folder called Shotwell-legacy
- Open Digikam, it is now making a huge scan.
- All PHOTOS metada was preserved, every VIDEO metadata was LOST because
shotwell does not save video metadata.
- You can ask for digikam to scan it again.
- Because shotwell didint handle duplicates very well, i suggest you to run
find duplicates on digikam (it creates signatures of pictures and compare
them, even with diferent names it works)
- After that i Started to organize my pictures in albuns, moving from
shotwell legacy to "[New Named Album]" So it was a litle better organized.

Any questions you may have, just ask!

You can do so much more using lables and face recognition (can improve a
lot yet, but is possible to use)

Hope that helps!