[Digikam-users] What am I missing? (16 bit, etc.)

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Fri Jan 9 02:40:19 GMT 2015

I've decided to get out of my comfort zone and start experimenting with 16 bit large sRGB color spaces now that I have a
new printer with a pretty wide gamut (Canon PRO-100.)

So I take an MRW image, select to work in ProPhoto RGB (Why not go all the way?  Been reading about it, especially on
Luminous Landscapte.)  I make a few adjustments, such as Levels, then select the 8>16 bit option in Depth.  When I try
to save it as either JPG or TIFF, the file is kept at 8 bits.  When I try a PNG version, it fails.  I'm sorry, I don't
have the program up to tell you exactly what the failure message is.

I've spent a lot of time in the online help and the Help PDF's, and I can't find anything that specifically address my
simple workflow or why it doesn't work.

Thanks, Paul