[Digikam-users] compile instructions unclear

jeff theonlyjeffjordan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:49:00 GMT 2015

I've been using Digikam for over 10 years and It's been fantastic.
Lately, for the past year, it's been unstable, crashing once every 5-8
times I've used it, even with a fresh install of the os and digikam. The
latest version under Kbuntu is 4.13. So, I decided to download and
compile the latest version rather than relying on Canonical to get up to
date. However, on the Digikam website I found this under "Installing a
tarball":

Extract the tarball via |tar -xvjf filename.bz2|, enter the extracted
directory and then you need to issue a set of commands. You need to
specify an installation prefix. This will be the base path of the
installation. To determine the correct path to your KDE installation,
use |`kde4-config --prefix`| and provide it as a parameter for cmake, as
shown in the example commands below: |

bootstrap.linux
cd build
make
su
make install|

I'm not sure what to do because it says to use the correct path to the
kde4 installation and provide it as a parameter for cmake as shown
below. I don't see any use of either cmake or the kde4 path. I also
don't understand what 'bootstrap.linux' means.

Could someone please clarify this for me and maybe make it a little
clearer on the website.