[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Feb 12 16:21:11 GMT 2015

Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:

> > This brings me back to my earlier question/comment, can anyone explain
> > what effect the three different settings in "Collections Settings" have?
> > That's:-
> >     Local Collections
> >     Collections on Removable Media
> >     Collections on Network Shares
> >
> > I.e. what does Digikam do differently if you tell it that a collection
> > is on, say, Removable Media as opposed to Local Collections.
>
> There is currently no difference between removable or local media, both work
> via UUID.
> For network storage, digikam does not attempt to retrieve a UUID or anything
> similar. The logic is simple: Directory is empty => collection not available
> Directory is not empty = collection available.

So if I set my Digikam directory to 'Collections on Network Shares' on
both my laptop (where it really is a network share) and my desktop
(where it's actually a local drive) then they should both be able to
use the same images without any problem.

I may well make the databases separate on the two systems, then it can
be a really local file on the laptop.

--
Chris Green
ยท