[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 11 21:00:51 GMT 2015

Simon Cropper <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/15 22:42, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> > Simon Cropper <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree with Marcel. The idea is to have both machines appear like the
> >> NFS share is actually on the same machine. Both desktop and laptop
> >> should appear as a local repository despite one or both actually being a
> >> network based share. The point with NFS is that the end product is an
> >> integrated directory that software is unable *and have no need* to
> >> distinguish from the native filesystem (except when the directory is not
> >> mounted).
> >>
> > So are you saying I should tell Digikam in both places that the
> > pictures are in a local directory even if they're not (as in once case
> > they will be an NFS mount)?
>
> Yes

This doesn't work.  Digikam uses the disk's UID to identify the disk
drive when it's a local drive.  If you tell it to use a drive that's
NFS mounted it simply doesn't see the UID and regards it as a
different drive.

This brings me back to my earlier question/comment, can anyone explain
what effect the three different settings in "Collections Settings" have?
That's:-
    Local Collections
    Collections on Removable Media
    Collections on Network Shares

I.e. what does Digikam do differently if you tell it that a collection
is on, say, Removable Media as opposed to Local Collections.

--
Chris Green
ยท