[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 9 12:24:40 GMT 2015

Simon Cropper <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/15 22:43, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> > I keep my Digikam images on my desktop machine in /home/chris/pictures.
> >
> > I have exported /home/chris/pictures as an NFS share so that I can see
> > the pictures on my laptop too.  If I run Digikam on my laptop and
> > specify the NFS /home/chris/pictures directory (wherever it's mounted
> > on the laptop) as a "Collection on a Network Share" will the laptop's
> > Digikam use the same database as the desktop one?
> >
> > At present the laptop seems to be re-scanning all the pictures in
> > /home/chris/pictures and that's not what I want really, it will take a
> > *very* long time and it's pointless anyway as the work has already
> > been done by my desktop and put into the Digikam database.  Can't I
> > tell the laptop to se the already existing database file?
> >

> What operating system are you using? It is hard to provide hints at a
> solution unless you have all the information.

Sorry, yes, I tend to forget that Digikam is multi-platform.

I'm running xubuntu on all my systems.

> ASSUMING all systems are linux you can solve the problem by mounting the
> NFS share in an identical directory structure so Digikam does not detect
> the images have been moved and starts rescanning.

That's what I tried but it didn't work.  I have my images in
/home/chris/pictures on my desktop machine.  I exported
/home/chris/pictures using NFS and mounted it on my laptop as
/home/chris/pictures.  When I started digikam on the laptop it sat and
tried to rescan everything which wasn't going to complete this year if
I left it to it.

On the laptop I specifically told Digikam the images were on an NFS
share, was this the right thing to do?

>                                                   I can't remember if
> the computer where the images resides is also stored in the sqlite
> database. If you find this does not work move the database to a distinct
> storage medium with a unique name and mount this to your desktop and
> laptop: this is the equivalent of having them on a NAS or MemoryStick.

It's now re-scanning the whole lot on my desktop!  The partial rescan
on the laptop has made it do this, so for the moment I can't really do
anything, I'll come and ask some more if I get stuck.

Thanks for the help, I didn't think I had misunderstood the
documentation, this should be possible.

--
Chris Green
ยท