[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Sun Feb 8 20:54:46 GMT 2015

Andrew Goodbody <ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/02/15 11:43, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> > I keep my Digikam images on my desktop machine in /home/chris/pictures.
> >
> > I have exported /home/chris/pictures as an NFS share so that I can see
> > the pictures on my laptop too.  If I run Digikam on my laptop and
> > specify the NFS /home/chris/pictures directory (wherever it's mounted
> > on the laptop) as a "Collection on a Network Share" will the laptop's
> > Digikam use the same database as the desktop one?
> >
> > At present the laptop seems to be re-scanning all the pictures in
> > /home/chris/pictures and that's not what I want really, it will take a
> > *very* long time and it's pointless anyway as the work has already
> > been done by my desktop and put into the Digikam database.  Can't I
> > tell the laptop to se the already existing database file?
> >
> Three things.
>
> 1) You should not attempt to use a sqlite database over a network.

Well that's not what the documentation says now.  It just says you
*can* do it.

Plus, I'm the only user and I'm not going to use digikam from two
places at the same time so it should actually be OK.

> 2) Mysql support is experimental although bugs are being fixed and there
> are people using it without issue, AFAIK, so it may work for you, YMMV.

I could run a mysql database but it seems a little OTT for what I
actually want to do.

> 3) The path of the root of the collection and possibly UUID of the HDD
> in question are stored in the database. This can make digikam treat
> images as different when accessed from different machines. There is a
> workaround for this if you don't mind a bit of manual manipulation of
> the database entry in question.

They should be the same, same disk drive, same directory structure.

Surely it's not an unusual requirement, allow manipulation of the same
hierarchy of pictures from more than one place.

--
Chris Green
ยท