[Digikam-users] Best practice for storing and tagging movies

Simon Cropper contact at simonchristophercropper.com
Tue Dec 1 09:47:20 GMT 2015

*** Anyone have any ideas thank you? Not sure others received
notification a few days back as I have recently changed my email ***

What is the current best practice for managing movies with digikam. I
could not find anything specific on the online manual.

On my system -- Ubuntu 14.04 64bit with Mate Desktop -- the videos can
be run ok and each video has a thumbnail. In particular I am interested
in storage of metadata. I don't want to store metadata in the video file
but in an associated XMP file.

If I tag a video however and open the associated XMP file the tags are
not present. I have a message *<?xpacket begin=""
id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?> *instead. The metadata is stored but
only in the database. There seems no option for exporting the metadata
to the XMP file. I don't mind having the data in the database but want a
complete XMP file as an additional safety measure. In the past with my
images if the database becomes corrupt I create a new database and
import the XMP data back into the database. When tagging videos I would
not be able to do this.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--
Cheers Simon