[Digikam-users] No video previews/thumbnails on digiKam on Windows

Constança Carvalho constancappcarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 05:53:57 BST 2015

I've been testing digiKam on Windows 8.1 for the past few days. I've been
really liking it. There's only one thing I'm missing: video thumbnails. It
shows photo thumbnails just fine, but for video files it doesn't, making it
difficult to identify which video is which.

I've been searching for a solution, but most of the info I find is for
various Linux distros and the solutions provided are not really
reproducible under Windows.

Meanwhile, your FAQ had some info that said that the thumbs should be
working in Dolphin or Konkeror to be available in digiKam. When I checked,
I found out that neither of them had previews for videos NOR images, even
though the Preview button was enabled. When I went to the settings of
Dolphin and Konkeror, there were options to enable previews for Images and
Jpeg, but no option for Video files. The options for Images and Jpeg were
both checked, even though there were no previews in Dolphin nor Konkeror. I
then tried to install the KDE Windows installer to try and install packages
that might be missing (I installed digiKam through its Windows installer).
I installed anything I thought might help getting thumbails, including
mplayerthumbs and kdegraphics-thumbnailers-vc100. Finally, I had image
previews in both Dolphin and Konkeror, and I also had the option to enable
them for video files in Settings. However, even after checking that option,
there are no previews for video files, and kio_thumbnail crashes repeatedly
until I close either program. digiKam still shows no thumbnails for videos.

Also, I don't know if this is important, but neither digiKam, Dolphin nor
Konkeror can play video files in the embedded player (eg. in the
information pane).

Any way to get video thumbnails in digiKam?