[Digikam-users] Viewing and Setting the GPSDestination GPS attributes

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Sep 13 11:19:08 BST 2014

Hi,

I am a digikam user and really like the functionality that Digikam
provides. Thank you for all the work you as developers invest in the
software!

One feature I am missing and would like to see implemented in Digikam is
the ability to set the GPSDestination EXIF metadata.

I am organizing the photos geographically. The position the photo is
taken is recorded automatically from my Solmeta GPS tagger. However,
more important than the position the photo is taken is the position we
are looking at when taking the picture, esp. in the case of tele-lense
pictures of mountains.

The goal is being able to organize, find and view the viewing angle of
my photos, like in this screenshot of an application I did several years
ago: http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/geophoto_view_angle.png - see
also http://www.geofoto.ch/geophotomap/ (currently does not work in all
browsers, need to fix a few things). Should work in Firefox.

Now my question:

These destination EXIF metadata needs to be set by hand. Digikam already
has the map view of where the photo was taken. Would it be possible to
enhance Digikam to allow the edition of the GPSDestination metadata.
This concerns the following EXIF tags:

GPSDestLatitude
GPSDestLongitude
GPSDestLatitudeRef
GPSDestLongitudeRef
GPSDestBearingRef
GPSDestDistanceRef
GPSDestDistance

Some GPS tagger device also record bearing data (electronic compass).

Based on the size of the photo sensor and the fov one can then draw a
viewing angle like in
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/geophoto_view_angle.png

I am not a developer but I would be willing to pay a digikam developer
to work on the following:

1. ability to edit all of the GPSDestxx EXIF data listed above - both
interactively in the map, but also based on numeric values (line input
widgets)

2. ability to draw the viewing angle on a map like shown in
http://www.carto.net/neumann/temp/geophoto_view_angle.png

Is there a digikam developer out there who would like to work on these
features if I would fund the work?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Andreas Neumann
Grüt (Gossau ZH), Switzerland