[Digikam-users] Using camera RAW settings by external RAW converter (was: Preview is "better" than RAW conversion?)

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Mon Sep 1 09:23:58 BST 2014

Le Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:02:15 +0200, Michael Gerdau <mgd at qata.de> a écrit:

>> > Now my question:
>> > Does anyone of you know of a way to (fairly accurately) use the
>> camera's
>> > RAW parameter as a default to start from with an external (aka running
>> > on Linux) RAW converter ?
>>
>> Have you ever tried darktable? This software is as good as the
>> manufacturers or even better (imho).
>
> Not yet, but after your pointer I installed it only to realize, I'm
> probably in for some manual reading :)
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try.
>
> Best wishes,
> Michael

An other option could be Lightzone which is more intuitive, I found, than
Darktable, but stay in a same kind of philosphy.

Lightzone is a former commercial software which was freed as an open
source software last year and development continue now.

Prefer the beta version, as each one bring a new version of dcraw and this
way, support new camera RAW files.

The only thing is LZ don't play well with metadata and overwrite xmp from
Digikam or Lightroom, but since beta 10 LZ can be use from Digikam and
"open with..." function, and opens pictures without adding them to a
database like Darktable.

--
Nicolas