[Digikam-users] Problem with neon effects

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Tue Oct 21 11:28:11 BST 2014

Am 21.10.2014 um 02:09 schrieb Dan McDaniel:

> I'm finding a problem when using the neon effect. When I'm in the Color
> Effects tool and select neon I see one thing, but when I click on OK and
> return to the main Image Editor screen the image changes. The colors are
> decidedly different. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Is it OK to attach a couple of sample images to a post? I've reduced
> them to about 500KB each.

I think the preview is calculated on the base of a reduced photo (the
preview), but in the end of course it's applied to the original image.

The smaller preview has different information (many smaller parts
falling out...) and so the effect on the high res can differ very much,
especially with effects that depend on "pixel neighbors"...

To my opinion this cannot be avoided unless the app would calculate
already the previews on the high res file, what would consume too much
time.

So the preview in these cases can only give you some idea of the "kind
of effect" the filter produces in general and in what kind the settings
will affect, but in the end you simply have to try: say ok, discard the
result, try with different settings... etc.

If my explanation is not correct, please rectify. dear digikamers :-)

Daniel
http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137