[Digikam-users] Import of many photos

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 09:13:46 GMT 2014

Same problem here, as I'm used to tag photo by dozens. Digikam is still
working in the background when I tag the next few ones, then others ... I
sometimes had to wait for about 2 hours till it finished! In the past, I
even thought it was completely frozen, as the progress bars in the low
right corner doesn't seem to move; in fact, it says the same thing for
everey picture, so one cannot see if it is actually working or completely
stuck.

I don't use face detection, rotating has already been done before. So I'm
only tagging, writing description and such on pictures that have been
imported and edited a while ago.

Marie-Noëlle

> Søndag den 30. november 2014 01:16:06 skrev Boudewijn:
> that
> > >
> > > After several minutes (more than 15) digikam unfroze again. Whatever it
> > > does in that time, freezing the ui is not smart.
> > >
> > > 1000 photos is not that much!
> >
> > I have no answer/solution, but perhaps it helps. My PC becomes very busy
> > when dropping many photos in Digikam or updating tags (I write the tags
> > the image file, not database only, so date modified changes). In my case
> it
> > is minidlna, that scans the directories on change and imports the images
> > (or reimports, in case of tags updated). It makes DK close to freezing as
> > well. I always thought minidlna to be the culprit; if I disable it for a
> > while DK will freeze for a shorter while.
> >
> > Could there be a backgroundprocess in your case that gives your system a
> > hard time while importing photos?
>
> I thought about the face detection or something like that could slow things
> down. There appears to be quite a lot of things going on that freezes the
> gui
> even after the notification that the import is done.
>
> Digikam says just autorotating, but in my case few images actually need to
> be
> rotated, even if they are all tested.
>
> Nothing special should be happening. During most of the time after the
> images
> are imported, the KDE process table shows digikam using 2-3%CPU. During the
> import 25% - using one core, I guess.
>
> Kindly,
> Anders
>
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Boudewijn

*Les calendriers 2015 sont disponibles sur le site lulu.com :*
<http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mnaugendre>

[image:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html]
<http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html>[image: