[Digikam-users] digiKam 4.0.0 hanging after checking "ICC repository" in OSX 10.10

Monroe, Will wtmonroe.ls at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:06:04 GMT 2014

Hello,

I'm new to digiKam and the listserv.  After doing a fair amount of
research to find the best open source photo management tool to use on a
few machines running Xubuntu 14.04 and OSX 10.10, I've settled on
digiKam.  The excellent tutorials from http://ninedegreesbelow.com/
describing how to use digiKam for digital asset management were a big
part of my decision.

Installing digiKam on Xubuntu 14.04 has been very simple.  No troubles
at all.  But installing digiKam on OSX 10.10 has been a little
difficulty.  Here's what I've done:

1.  Installed macports
2.  Ran 'sudo port install digikam' to successfully install digiKam (see
install log http://bit.ly/1xTvZDw).
3.  Ran 'launchctl load -w
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist'
4.  Started digiKam which, during first run, allowed me to choose
various options for photo import, etc. However, digiKam hangs when the
splash image displays "checking ICC repository" (see log
http://bit.ly/1xTw3Dq).

I've tried logging out, restarting, deleting all preferences, and I've
completely uninstalled macports and removed all associated files using
this method http://bit.ly/1yc1JTs  Although re-installation seems to be
successful, I still have run into the same problem each time.

I've searched a bit for similar errors and most the advice seems to
suggest running:

'launchctl load -w
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist'

and/or

'sudo chown -R $USER ~/Library/Preferences/KDE'

I've also found a recommendation here
https://community.kde.org/Mac#Running_KDE_Applications suggesting that
running

'launchctl load  -w
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist'

with 'sudo' is preferable to running as a normal user.  I'm not quite
sure what to make of that discrepancy but my '~/Library/Preferences/KDE'
all belong to my user account or to 'staff' so I can't see what the
problem might be.

I'm also not sure how to proceed with my troubleshooting at this point.
  If anyone has advice on how to proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,

Will