[Digikam-users] Can't specify input colour profile

Victor Engmark victor.engmark at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 14:36:30 GMT 2014

Thank you for the excellent answer, Remco. I think I can refine the
question now:

My Canon 7D is set to use the "Adobe RGB" colour space. I have not
been able to find an input profile for this camera anywhere (including
the Canon website). The images generally come out with much more bland
colours than the preview JPEGs.

Cheers

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> [...]
>> ("Camera and Scanner", "Printing and Proofing", image editor pop-up
>> for uncalibrated images) are empty.
>>
>> I also tried putting AdobeRGB1998.icc into ~/.color/icc. It was
>> detected but only listed in the output profile selection lists.
>>
>> digiKam output in case it's relevant (removed repeated lines):
>>
>> $ digikam
>> Object::connect: No such signal
> org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QString)
>> Object::connect: No such signal
> org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QString)
>> QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is
>> still in use, all queries will cease to work.
>> digikam(6346)/digikam (core): Do not use transformForDisplay for
>> uncalibrated data but let the RAW loader do the conversion to sRGB
>> digikam(6346)/digikam (core): No input profile: invalid Behavior flags
> 2097152
>> digikam(6346)/digikam (core): Do not use transformForDisplay for
>> uncalibrated data but let the RAW loader do the conversion to sRGB
>> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
>>
> That would be because the AdobeRGB1998.icc profile is a colour space, not
> an input profile.
>
> The difference is that a colour space describes what RGB value corresponds
> to a real world colour under a given light source, assuming ideal
> behaviour. As real equipment never shows ideal behaviour, we use input and
> output profiles to describe where and how the equipment differs from the
> ideal case. This means that each input and output profile is specific for
> one device, and one device only (for printers, changing paper, ink, or
> print settings can make the profile invalid).
>
> To confuse the issue, both colur spaces and in/output profiles are stored
> in files with a .icc extension...
>
> So, colour space files can be distributed and used by every one,
> independent of the equipment used.
>
> For the input and output profiles you'd have to find one corresponding to
> your equipment (camera, scanner, screen) (or, better but taking some time
> or money) create your own.
>
> That is also what Digikam tries to tell you (in a rather crytic way)
>
> But, unless you are doing very colour critical work (publicity, scientific
> perhaps), you can get away with leaving the input profiles blank.
>
> Calibrating and profiling your monitor and printer is much more important
> for most of us:
> - the monitor so that others have a fighting chance to see the image as you
> intend it to be seen,
> - the printer so that the final print corresponds as much as possible to
> what your calibrated/profiled screen shows (it will never be exact, due to
> the different principles involved: additive RGB  vs. subtractive CMYK).
>

> Regards,
>
> Remco
>
> P.S. The libpng warning is a known one btw, try using one of the other
> versions easily available until the warning disappears.

Cheers
Victor