[Digikam-users] Lightroom lens profiles in digiKam?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue May 6 23:10:43 BST 2014

Hallöchen!

Dmitri Popov writes:

> I've just found a large collection of lens profiles
> (http://pindelski.org/Photography/technical/download-lens-profiles/). Unfortunately,
> they all are in the Lightroom .lcp format. Is there any way to
> adapt them for use with digiKam? I know that digiKam uses the
> LensFun library for all the lens correction trickery, but
> researching the subject didn't yield any useful info.

I don't know whether digiKam can use lcp files, but I'd like to
comment on that in general.  I maintain Lensfun's database, and I
also contribute to its code most in the last 12 months or so.  At
one point, I planed to implement Adobe's equations in Lensfun (they
are well-documented and I'm pretty sure that they are patent-free),
so that lcp files could be converted into the Lensfun format very
easily and effectively, every Lensfun-driven program could use lcp
files.

Now, this is way down the list for me.  First, I'm somewhat unsure
about the quality of many lcp files, which are created by amateurs
in sub-optimal setups.  Especially the vignetting correction is
difficult to achieve with these methods.  Secondly, it is not easy
to get a complete set of lcp files, and I see licensing issues.  And
last but not least, I think Lensfun's database is developing
greatly.  It is just so simple to make profiles for it that I see no
point in supporting lcp's.

However, if you really see demand for it, I think about it.  It is
not *very* difficult.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de