[Digikam-users] Tagging deletes image-clueless

Andrew Fritz photo at fritztech.com
Sun May 4 14:00:08 BST 2014

I'm going to jump in and make a suggestion.

Start a brand new collection. Just set up a folder on your desktop or
something and copy a few images in. Test there in a VERY controlled
environment.

While testing, at the command line in a terminal, probably using sudo
(i.e. as root), look at the folder using "ls -alh" to make sure they
actually go away. Don't do this in a GUI file manager. Do it at the CLI.

Check dmesg if/when they go away and see if anything is being reported
in the kernel's log.

As a developer I can think of a couple of things that could happen in a
piece of software to "delete" a file when rewriting it, but all of those
would leave a 0 byte file with no contents (for example, some exception
in the code that rewrites the metadata after opening the file for
write). Without looking at that code in Digikam, I'd assume (based on
its wide user base and the fact that this isn't happening otherwise)
that that is NOT the case though. Or, if it is, it is something very
specific related to hardware or kernel issues on your specific system.

Andrew

Email: photo at fritztech.com
Phone: 703-665-9454
Andrew Fritz, Photographic - Weddings and Portraits
  http://www.fritztech.com
  https://www.facebook.com/AndrewFritzPhotographic
Arlington Real Estate Photography
  http://www.arlingtonrealestatephotography.com