[Digikam-users] Canon EOS 6D

Darryl Penny dpenny at contrast.photography
Fri May 2 10:24:13 BST 2014

On 05/02/2014 01:58 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hi Darryl,
>>> Hey Bob,

>>> My last failed attempt was with Xubuntu 13.10. Sorry, but no error
>>> log/screenshot for the following reason:
>>>
>>> I very recently installed Linux Mint 16 (based on 13.10) and Digikam
>>> with the intention of moving from Lightroom to Digikam. I love the idea
>>> of FOSS and get a kick out of accomplishing the same or similar tasks
>>> with non-proprietary software. I am an amateur photographer and
>>> therefor
>>> do not have the same concerns as the professionals in the industry. But
>>> I digress ...
>>>
>>> I have yet to plug my 7D into Mint 16 with the latest Digikam from the
>>> official repositories.
>>

>> I plugged my 7D into Mint 16 KDE with ALL latest software updates.
>>
>> Digikam shows my 7D but no photos to import. It gives plenty camera
>> detail in Device Summary. It was found on Port: usb003,003, but the
>> camera is not shown in Dolphin.
>>
>> Gwenview does not see it at all and suppies this error:
>> "URL cannot be listed camera:/"
>>
>> Looks like I'll be using Lightroom for awhile longer ...
>
> What happens if you connect your camera and then go to Import>Cameras
> in the menu?  Does your camera show there and if so can you find your
> images by clicking on the camera shown in the menu?

I have good and bad news :-/
1) I forgot the SD card was recently reformatted and was empty!! Thus
nothing showed up in the Import window  ...
2) I took several pics, plugged in the 7D. The pics show up in the
Import window. This means that Digikam does find the 7D automagically
and opens the DCIM folder. Downloading, however, throws an error: "Album
name cannot contain "/"."

I've no idea how to solve that - as I've set a standard Album name in
Settings > Config Digikam > Cameras > Behaviour

3) I then added the camera manually, but the outcome is the same.

Darryl