[Digikam-users] getting started with digikam

kaefert at gmail.com kaefert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:34:54 BST 2014

Hi there!

I'm currently trying to get started with using digikam.
My Distro is Linux Mint 16 (up-to-date) with Cinnamon 2.0.14 (so not KDE,
at least not yet)
I've installed digikam through the official Linux Mint Repos:
digiKam 3.4.0 Using KDE Development Platform 4.11.5 (package version
4:3.4.0-1ubuntu3)
My collection holds around 380.000 Elements with a total size of around 2TB
(I'd guess about 97% of the count are pictures and the rest are video and
audio recordings)

So here's my list of issues I've run into as of yet:

1.) The digikam-users mailing-list-archive seems to be broken.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.digikam.user/20454
I only get empty pages without content when I click on the links like the
one above found by google. Google's cache still has some of the messages,
but thats definilty a bumper when trying to find information on digikam.

2.) I'm currently using Linux Mint 16 with the Cinnamon Desktop, and
digikam's tooltips have a light gray text color on a yellow background for
me. Not easy to read those.

3.) When I try to use "Extra -> Maintenance -> Create Thumbnails" digikam
will use incredible amounts of RAM. I've created and mounted a 200GB
swapdisk (on my SSD) which takes around 4 hours to get filled by digikam,
but even after 4 hours the progress bar remains at 0% and in the detailed
progress bar whch shows the thumbnails as they are created It will only
show around 3 thumbnails every second. So the RAM usage is not even linear
to the pictures scanned, but much higher.

ad 3.) I'm currently creating fingerprints for my collection, which seems
to work fine. It's been running for a few hours now and the progressbar is
currently at 86% and digikam is using 6.4GB of RAM. Also the thumbnails
on-the-fly creation when I open a specific folder (which seems to be called
"album" in digikam therms) works fine and quite fast (around 10 pictures
per second, depending on file size of course)

So please if anybody got a comment, hint, workaround or a fix for one of my
issues, please reply!

Kind Regards,

Thomas Käfer