[Digikam-users] Tags and everything related to them

Wolfgang Mader Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de
Fri Jul 25 12:38:01 BST 2014

On Friday 25 July 2014 14:32:47 Veaceslav Munteanu wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I want to thank everybody who sent me pack of images to test. I really
> called them nuke pack, because they really had everything in them:
> legacy tags, duplicates and obsolete tags :D
>
> Thanks to them I was able to reproduce a lot of issues and fix them all.
>
> What I did:
>
> 1. Fixed more than 3 different scenarios in which digiKam could not write
> tags 2. Fixed IPTC being out of sync with XMP
> 3. Fixed _Digikam_root_tag_ which appears in images tagged with old
> version of digiKam
> 4. Added extra deduplication when writing tags + logic to remove all
> occurrences of _Digikam_root_tag_
> 5. Tested all packs received from users: All images contain fresh
> clean tags after read then write
> 6. XMP sidecar files also tested: read then write will remove any
> inconsistency 7. Fixed Tags Manager write option, which was broken
> 8. Tested all 3 options to read and write metadata: from maintenance,
> from menu and from tags manager
> 9. Tested face tags and read/write on them
> 10. If you have large collections, use Tags Manager write option, it
> will only write tags and process will be much faster

Hello Veaceslav,

thank you for your work on this. This is great news! In order to remove all
tags from already taged images, do you recommend to use Tags Manager (your
point 10)?

Do you still need more images. I can prepare a set next week (I am right now
away from my images).

> Anybody who can compile and run git repository can test and give me
> some feedback :)
> I hope you will really enjoy tagging, because I spent almost a week,
> full time, working on them ^_^

You can be sure that this work is appreciated!

Best,
Wolfgang