[Digikam-users] Hang while saving or updating JPEG on the network

Jeff Robinson jeffnik at anecho.mb.ca
Tue Jul 22 13:11:59 BST 2014

Hi folks,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm seeing with Digikam that has shown
up in the last month or two.  I don't exactly recall when the problem
first turned up, but it's seriously started to cramp my work-flow!

My current set-up is a desktop machine which contains my portfolio drive
and a laptop where I do a lot of my editing.

I primarily use the laptop to edit my photos, with the album directory
shared via a SMB connection (via smb4k).  I've used this set-up for
years, but the problems seem to have only started occurring recently,
and I'm trying to figure out where in my set-up the issue is occurring.

I use the sidecar files for both my RAW photos and JPEGs, in addition to
having the data written to the JPEGs as well.  In what seems like a
random event, I'll update the metadata on a JPEG and Digikam will stop
writing the information to a file, say at 80%.  If I click on the
thumbnail of the JPEG then the metadata commit will complete, but
otherwise Digikam will not seem to finish the write.

If I edit a RAW file in Digikam's Image Editor the editor will now
almost always hang while saving out the JPEG, where previously it worked
like a champ.

I enabled kdebugdialog and get the following output when I save the new
JPEG:
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::DMetadata::setImageTitles: ""  ==>
Title:  QMap()
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::DMetadata::setImageComments: ""
==> Comment:  QMap()
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::DMetadata::setImagePickLabel: ""
==> Pick Label:  0
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::DMetadata::setImageColorLabel: ""
 ==> Color Label:  0
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::DMetadata::setImageRating: Rating
value to write is out of range!
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::EditorWindow::startingSaveVersion:
Saving image KUrl("file:///home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British
Isles Cruise/UK Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre/IMGP7090.PEF")
non-destructive, new version: true , saveAs: false format: ""
digikam(1760)/digikam (core)
Digikam::VersionNameCreator::setSaveFileName: need new version true
digikam(1760)/digikam (core)
Digikam::VersionNameCreator::setSaveFileName: analyzing file
"IMGP7090.PEF" QVariant(int, 1) QVariant(int, 1)
digikam(1760)/digikam (core)
Digikam::VersionNameCreator::checkIntermediates: Will replace false save
after each session false save after raw false save when not repro false
digikam(1760)/digikam (core)
Digikam::VersionNameCreator::checkIntermediates: initial history 1
current history 3 first step 1 last step 1
digikam(1760)/digikam (core)
Digikam::VersionNameCreator::checkIntermediates: Save intermediates
after steps ()
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::EditorWindow::startingSaveVersion:
Writing file to  KUrl("file:///home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British
Isles Cruise/UK Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre/IMGP7090_v1.JPG")
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::EditorCore::Private::saveAs:
Saving to : "/home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British Isles Cruise/UK
Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre/EditorWindow-Bc1760.digikamtempfile.JPG" (
"jpg" )
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::EditorCore::Private::saveNext:
Saving file "/home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British Isles Cruise/UK
Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre/EditorWindow-Bc1760.digikamtempfile.JPG" at -1
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumWatch::rescanDirectory:
Detected change, triggering rescan of directory
"/home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British Isles Cruise/UK
Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre"
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::JPEGLoader::save: Using LibJPEG
medium chroma-subsampling (4:2:2)
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::JPEGLoader::save: Using LibJPEG
quality compression value:  81
digikam(1760)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumWatch::rescanDirectory:
Detected change, triggering rescan of directory
"/home/portuser/album/Vacation/2013 British Isles Cruise/UK
Cruise/2013-08-03 - Le Havre"

Once I receive the last message about triggering a rescan Image Editor
is stuck at 89%.  If I try to cancel the save Image Editor does not
respond.  If I close Image Editor I receive a dialogue that asks to
"please wait for the image to be saved", but it never progresses.

I can cancel out of the dialogue and have three options: Save Changes,
Save Changes as a New Verion, and Discard Changes.

The only option that works is "Discard Changes".  This seems to close
Image Editor.  If I then close Digikam I receive the same "Please
wait..." dialogue.  If I hit "cancel" then Digikam disappears but a
second "Please wait..." dialogue appears.  Cancelling out of this one as
well makes the dialogue disappear, but Digikam is still running in the
background and I have to manually kill the process.

Any thoughts folks might have on troubleshooting my problem would be
greatly appreciated!

Jeff