[Digikam-users] Temporarily override the 'write to file' metadata setting

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 10:56:13 GMT 2014

2014-01-31 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:

> 2014-01-31 Marie-Noëlle Augendre <mnaugendre at gmail.com>
>
> Due to many Digikam freezes when using the batch tool manager, I've been
>> obliged to deactivate the 'write to file' metadata setting.
>>
> However, when I want to write metadata to a couple of images - using the
>> Images -> Write metadata to image menu, there is no option to override the
>> general setting. So I need to modify the setting first, then do the rewrite
>> metadata for pictures I want to publish, then go back to deactivate the
>> setting again.
>>
>> Could you provide some easier option? Having different settings for batch
>> tool manager and image menu, for example? Or giving the ability to override
>> temporarily the setting when using the Image menu?
>>
>> Thanks for considering this modification.
>>

> The right question is why it freeze on your computer.

We had this discussion a while ago, I think. ;-)
At that time, you seemed to think that the culprits were my USB external
drives.

> Did you tried to turn off multi-core cpu support in BQM queue settings and
> see if it's better ?

It's unchecked.

> Did you run digiKam in GDB and get a suitable backtrace when it freeze.
> It's possible that a crash appear in Exiv2 shared lib, and not digiKam as
> well. In this case the way to use Images -> Write metadata to image will
> give the same king of freeze..

What is GDB by the way?
For me, the difference seems to be the number of pictures that have to be
rewritten: if they are only a couple, it works OK; but when I use the batch
tool manager - or tag many images at a time - Digikam gets stucked.

2014-01-31 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:

> Other questions :
>
> - What's your metadata settings exactly ? Perhaps it's a specific
> option which freeze metadata writting process.

It's either Write to XMP sidecar only, when I want to avoid freezing
problems; or Write to Image and sidecar, when I need to apply EXIF/IPTC to
images.

> - Which type of images did you manage like this ? Raw or JPEG or both
> or another one as PNG or TIFF ?

99% of the time, it is TIFF that I need to resize/convert/sharpen in order
to produce JPEG for publishing.

> - Can you look about memory allocation in your computer to see if all
> is not filled. I fixed several memory issue in mantenance tool (which
> share some code with BQM). This can be the problem.

Humm... I have no idea how to do that. Can you give me a hint?

Thanks,
Marie-Noëlle

--
<http://marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>